Launched in 2009, Dual Energy serves as an independent energy supplier that provides gas and electricity to small businesses. Working with thousands of businesses in the UK, Dual Energy claims to offer a low-cost alternative to the Big 6 through their personalised service.
Dual Energy works with the ultimate aim to minimize business costs and encourage clients to adopt an eco-efficient model. The organization is leading the way with the use of smart meters.
- Offers a 3-year unique product with price match guarantee
- Direct Debit Payments
- Support for all electricity profiles, including half hourly
- Free installation of smart meters
- Support for related meters
- Accurate billing
Dual Energy Core Services
Dual Energy provides fixed and variable gas and electricity solutions to firms across the UK along with budget plans for electricity.
Its solutions are more targeted toward small to medium-sized enterprises and the company strives to keep costs to a minimum with their price match guarantee and market reviews.
When striking deals with businesses, Dual Energy offers them a free smart meter, which sends meter readings on a regular basis so that bills are aligned to actual usage, eliminating the need for estimated billing. The offering is part of its commitment to the Smart Meter Initiative (SMI) of the UK government that aims to ensure that all UK businesses install a Smart Meter by 2020.
Dual Energy also offers e-billing service and a 30-day notice period. To allow businesses to pay for their electricity supply upfront, the company also offers a prepayment meter service with standard and reward versions.
Dual Energy Business Electricity and Gas: Tariffs & Rates
This section provides in-depth insight on Dual Energy rates.
Dual Energy Electricity Tariffs
This a 3-year contract with a fixed price for the first 12 months, after which the price is reviewed to ensure that you’re getting the most competitive price Dual Energy is offering. The new price is then fixed for the next 12 months before another price review.
This is a fixed price contract for 1 or 2 years.
SmartFlex Tariff Rates
- For 03-04 profile meter types— the unit charge is 19.9 pence/kWh and the standard charge is 44 pence/day
- For 05-08 profile meter types— the unit charge is 19.9 pence/kWh and the standard charge is 95 pence/day
Standard Electricity Tariff Rates
- For 03-04 profile meter types, the unit charge is 24.4pence/kWh and the standard charge is 89 pence/day
- For 05-08 profile meter types, the unit charge is 24.4pence/kWh and the standard charge is 259 pence/day
Dual Energy Gas Tariffs
It works in the same way as Smart Tracker: A 3-year contract with a competitive price fixed for the first year. Annual price review is conducted after the first 12 months and the best price is fixed for the upcoming year.
This deal charges fixed competitive gas prices for 1 or 2 years.
SmartFlex Business Gas Tariff Rates
- For all meters, a unit charge of 4.4 pence/kWh plus a 35 pence/day standard charge applies.
Standard Gas Tariff Rates
- For all meters, a unit charge of 6.2 pence/kWh plus an 84 pence/day standard charge applies.
Dual Energy Deemed Rates
Also known as ‘out of contract’ rates, deemed rates are placed when you have provided a termination notice to Dual Energy and have expressed your intent of freedom of movement at the end of the existing contract but have not chosen to leave Dual Energy’s supply.
For 03-04 profile SME customer, a unit charge of 21 pence/kWh plus an 81 pence/day standard charge applies.
Dual Energy Fuel Mix
While no renewable or green energy products currently exist in Dual Energy’s portfolio, the company does offer smart metering solutions to improve energy-efficiency for businesses. The following table compares Dual Energy’s fuel mix for 2012/13, with the national average for 2013/14:
|Fuel||2012/13 Dual Energy Fuel Mix||2013/14 National Average|
|High Level Radioactive Waste generated||0.009g/kWh||0.0017g/kWh|
Pros and Cons of Switching to Dual Energy
- Fast, convenient online approval
- Ideal for small and medium-sized businesses
- Affordable pricing
- Easy to switch to
- Billing based on actual energy consumption rather than estimates
- Free Smart Meter Installation
- Security of price matches guarantee
- No premium payable for choosing a longer term deal
- Only works with clients that consume more than 3,000kWh/year
- Only customers with a credit score of more than 16 are considered for an exemption of security deposit
- Doesn’t serve pubs, property management companies, takeaways, and firms with outstanding CCJs
- Prices can be changed in the initial and extended contract period in accordance with the Tariff and any additional costs
- CFD costs vary and are not included in any prices
- Can back bill customers for up to 6 years
- No 100% renewable energy products available
Dual Energy Reviews
To find out what customers have to say about the services offered by Dual Energy, we checked out Trustpilot. In the past, the company had a bad overall rating on the platform. However, it seems like the company has incredibly improved in the past 2 months, resulting in an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 based on 303 reviews. Let’s have a look at positive and negative Dual Energy reviews:
Barbara W. on Trustpilot
‘Very helpful team: Martin was so helpful in resolving my query of missing invoices, updating my account and sending me a weblink to the online service. Thank you!’
David Stephenson on Trustpilot
‘Absolutely atrocious company ,i informed them as my renewal date approached i had a better quote and that if they wished to match or better it i would consider staying with them, Instead I got an email back congratulating me on renewing my contract for another 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!I…’
British Gas Contact Information & Tools
Dual Energy phone numbers
- Phone Number for customer support: 01903 703 400
- Sales / Broker Support: 01903 703411
Dual Energy Email Addresses
- Customer Service: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sales / Broker Support: email@example.com
Making a Complaint with Dual Energy
Dual Energy aims to resolve complaints professionally and promptly. To make a complaint, follow the three steps explained below:
Reach out to the UK customer service team by dialling on 01903 703400 or emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you think you feel that your complaint hasn’t been resolved, ask to speak to their line manager and share your issue.
If your complaint remains unresolved, get in touch with the Customer Services Manager by emailing at email@example.com or by mailing to:
Customer Services Manager,
Managing Your Business Account
Once you become a Dual Energy customer, you’ll be requested to create an online account. If you wish to speak to someone, you may call at 0333 200 5103(1). Once your online account is created, you will be able to:
Pay Your Bills
If you opted for paperless billing, Dual Energy will send you the bill at the beginning of each month via email or post. Direct Debit is the only payment method available, and that’s the safest and most convenient method to make a payment. You’re protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee at all times.
Submit Meter Readings
Once your Smart Meter is installed, meter readings will be taken automatically via mobile communications link. If you have joined Dual Energy recently and are waiting for the installation of the Smart Meter, you will receive a bill based on estimated consumption.
If you wish to receive an accurate bill for that period, the company will require you to submit a meter reading within 5 days of the end of each month.
Dual Energy Change of Tenancy Form
In the business energy market, Change of Tenancy (CoT) refers to moving into a premise. While the existing supplier is bound to continue providing energy to the new occupier, the new occupier is not required to apply for an extended contract with that supplier.
The CoT customer has complete freedom of movement and can get into a contract of their choice with any supplier. Yet, there are certain rules and regulations that the customer needs to follow.
You can fill in your Change of Tenancy Form here. You will need the following details to hand:
- Your move out date
- New occupier name, phone number and email address
- Forwarding address
- Final meter reading
After you complete and send the form, Dual Energy will get in touch with you.
Switching to Dual Energy
The easiest and fastest way to switch to Dual Energy is with EnergyBillKill. We have special deals in place that can beat the prices you’ll get direct by as much as 20% – and you can compare quotes in just a few minutes!
Head over to EnergyBillKill.com to get started. You’ll need your business’s postcode, address, energy usage and ideal billing period. Simply enter these details when prompted to get quotes from several suppliers, including Dual Energy.
Once the switch is complete, you will go through the following steps:
- First Budget Plan Payment—collected 2 weeks after switch to Dual Energy
- Receive First Dual Energy Invoice
- Smart Meter Installation within 4-6 weeks of switch